Upcoming Art Exhibits in Lancaster, PA
With the snow melting and the promise of new growth budding all around us, we are eager to take in the bright fresh colors all around us. Why not check out the beautiful new artwork being created in our vibrant downtown. Lancaster has a thriving creative scene, bursting with artists and makers from all over the county. Below are some of the upcoming exhibits we recommend you check out. If you haven’t been to Lancaster and aren’t sure where to begin- check out our guide for “Getting to know Galley Row.”
Spring 2019 Exhibits
Born in Lancaster, PA Charles Demuth is one of our local celebrities. Known for his avant-garde style and the contributions he made to the Precisionist art movement, Demuth often painted scenes inspired by his life in Lancaster and the view of the garden from outside his window of his studio in his home (which is where the museum is today). While the museum holds a collection of permanent works by the artist, it also hosts a number of changing collections:
- Scholastic Art Awards Exhibit- March 2- April 14, 2019 Hundreds of artworks from Lancaster County Students participating in the artistic competition, the Scholastics Art Awards.
- Demuth Garden Tour- June 8-9, 2019 Begin in the Victorian garden at the Demuth Museum, from where Charles Demuth modeled many of his floral water colors, explore the gardens of approximately 20 additional town and country gardens in of the country’s original garden tours.
Lancaster Museum of Art-
Founded in 1965, the Lancaster Museum of Art acts as a source of culture and education for the County presenting exhibitions as diverse as the community which they serve.
- Lancaster County Young Artists Exhibition- March 2- April 14, 2019 Hundreds of artworks from Lancaster County students participating in the artistic competition, Lancaster County Young Artists on view at the Lancaster Museum of Art.
The Artisans Gallery showcases regional artists work- both 2 and 3 dimensional works. Artists and work featured in this gallery often rotate, so even if you have been before this is probably something new that you haven’t seen yet.
A very well-known galley in Lancaster, CityFolk hosts art exhibits of renowned artists and rising national artists, allowing the local community to experience and purchase the work of visiting artists which they change out regularly.
Pennsylvania College of Art and Design-
PCA&D is central PA’s only non-profit, professional art college. Their Main Gallery features lively, thought-provoking and ambitious exhibits that showcase work by regionally and nationally known artists. In addition to exhibits, they often host artist talks as well.
- Senior Show- May 3, 2019 Lancaster’s largest gallery exhibit by a single organization, the PCA&D “Senior Show & Celebration” displays student’s thesis presentations ranging in media from paints, prints, photography, and illustration to animation, wearable art, multi-media and much more.
Phillips Museum of Art-
Located at Franklin and Marshall College, the Phillips Museum exhibits highlights from the museum’s extensive permanent collection of diverse, contemporary artists.
- Hostile Terrain- Now- April 25, 2019 This exhibit presents found objects, photographs, and date that sheds light on the migration across the border from Mexico to the U.S.
- Geometric Aljamía- Now- March 8, 2019 A Cultural Transliteration- This exhibit explores notions of hybridity between Middle Easter and Western art-making practices through sacred geometry.
- Looking Skyward- Now- March 8, 2019 This exhibit celebrates humanities achievements in space, with a focus on the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing.
Red Raven Art Company-
Offering a diverse array of artists styles, Red Raven Art Company, exhibits works of local and regional artists that change monthly.
Artists Studio and Gallery at Annex 24-
This independent art gallery changes their exhibits every month. Exhibits often highlight local, national and international artists. In addition to their displays the also offer and artisan studio and maker’s space as well as classes and workshops.
To learn more about upcoming shows, events, or galleries in Lancaster, PA check out the Lancaster City Art Galleries page.