Explore things to do this Valentine's Day in Lancaster...
LancasterHistory & President James Buchanan’s Wheatland
LancasterHistory is currently open to the public Tuesdays - Saturdays from 9:30am until 5pm. Tours of Wheatland are offered those days beginning at 10am and run on the hour until 3pm, the last tour of the day. Our Research Center is open by appointment from 9:30am until 2pm.
Please visit our website for more information and to purchase tickets.
MORE ABOUT LANCASTERHISTORY
LancasterHistory welcomes you to the Lancaster Campus of History—our region’s hub for history and heritage and the perfect place in Central Pennsylvania for citizens to connect with the past. American history begins on the local level, and the Lancaster region played a critical role in the formation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and in the design of the founding documents of the United States a unique experiment in freedom and democracy.
At LancasterHistory, visitors can:
- Tour the 1828 Federal mansion of President James Buchanan, the 15th President of the United States;
- Explore museum exhibitions, including the latest exhibition, Lancaster in the 60s;
- Search for your Lancaster County connection in our Research Center, with more than 2 million documents, manuscripts and books, access to the Library Edition of Ancestry.com and a variety of additional databases and resources;
- Walk the grounds of LancasterHistory which includes the Louise Arnold Tanger Arboretum;
- Take a piece of history home with you by shopping local in the Museum Store; and
- Enjoy a variety of educational events and opportunities for learners of all ages.
Visit Wheatland, the beloved home of 15th U.S. President James Buchanan, where period furnishings and personal artifacts tell the story of Buchanan, the president who struggled to calm a divided nation on the brink of civil war. Visitors will tour the 1828 mansion with knowledgeable guides, making it the perfect experience for history buffs and presidential history and home enthusiasts.
Come back to visit Wheatland from mid-November through December to experience Yuletide at Wheatland, an annual, holiday-themed program at President James Buchanan’s Wheatland. Enjoy festive décor and learn about how the holidays were celebrated in Buchanan’s time in this one-hour, history and holiday-infused tour.
Currently, LancasterHistory offers customized tours for organized adult and student groups.
We also now offer private tours of Origins of the Underground Railroad in Lancaster County. To learn about these tour options for your group, please visit https://www.lancasterhistory.org/ugrr.