Although the weather in Lancaster is often beautiful, the...
LancasterHistory & President James Buchanan’s Wheatland
LancasterHistory welcomes you to the Lancaster Campus of History—our region’s hub for history and heritage and the perfect place in Central Pennsylvania for citizens to connect with the past. American history begins on the local level, and the Lancaster region played a critical role in the formation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and in the design of the founding documents of the United States a unique experiment in freedom and democracy.
At LancasterHistory, visitors can:
- Tour the 1828 Federal mansion of President James Buchanan, the 15th President of the United States
- Explore museum exhibitions, including the latest exhibition, Lancaster in the 60s
- Search for your Lancaster County connection in our Research Center, with more than 2 million documents, manuscripts and books, access to the Library Edition of Ancestry.com and a variety of additional databases and resources
- Walk the grounds of LancasterHistory which includes the Louise Arnold Tanger Arboretum
- Take a piece of history home with you by shopping local in the Museum Store
- Enjoy a variety of educational events and opportunities for learners of all ages.
Visit Wheatland, the beloved home of 15th U.S. President James Buchanan, where period furnishings and personal artifacts tell the story of Buchanan, the president who struggled to calm a divided nation on the brink of civil war. Visitors will tour the 1828 mansion with knowledgeable guides, making it the perfect experience for history buffs and presidential history and home enthusiasts. History-focused, one-hour long tours are offered mid-January through mid-November, Monday – Saturday, from 10am until 3pm. Tickets may be purchased in advance online, by calling (717) 392-4633, or at-the-door. Advance tickets strongly recommended for Saturdays and May-August.
Come back to visit Wheatland during the holiday season to experience Yuletide at Wheatland, an annual, holiday-themed program at President James Buchanan’s Wheatland. Enjoy festive décor and learn about how the holidays were celebrated in Buchanan’s time in this one-hour, history and holiday-infused tour. Yuletide at Wheatland is available mid-November – end of December, Monday – Saturday.
Group tours are available for organized groups of 10 or more individuals. Please visit our website for more information and to submit an inquiry form.
All major U.S. credit cards are accepted. Senior, AAA, and Military discounts are available during our regular operating season. For FAQs and accessibility information, please visit our website. Additional questions may be directed to email@example.com or (717) 392-4633.
- Motorcoach Parking
- On-site Parking
And where to see Santa this season.
A wonderful mix of holiday cheer and indoor fun
The Holiday season in Lancaster County is full of themed...
Explore Lancaster County's history and heritage.